Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Son of a Preacher Man

"The only boy who could ever teach me, was the son of a preacher man.. the only boy who could ever reach me.. was the son of a preacher man. Yes, he was, he was. Oh yes, he was!"

Some of you may know who I speak of. And some may not. I am preaching today about my dearest friend, Greg Cole. He is, in fact, the son of preacher man. And in fact the only one who could ever reach me or teach me, for that matter !

Most of you know how Greg's legendary words are used to describe God and Spirit, interpret the bible in a fashion that allows the modern man to comprehend and relate. In fact, some of you may miss those words terribly! I know I did, until I received the privilege this past weekend to once again be mesmerized and literally dazzled by his God-speak.

This blog is about you, Preacher Boy! ("PB") The man formerly known as Preacher Boy... and well, is today. This sermon's for you kid....

This past weekend in a visit to the very hip city, (really), of Jacksonville, Florida, I had the rare opportunity to sit in on 3 services in an Episcopal parish located in a very affluent section of Jax. These were no ordinary church services to me, as I was there to listen to PB preach a rather deep and energized message about affordable and decent housing to the hardworking people of Jax. You see, PB is no longer a collar-carrying preacher, he is the Sr. Development Officer and Interim Director of Development for HabiJax... a cute word for Habitat for Humanity of Jacksonville. Probably the largest non-profit organization in Jax, and certainly,within the top 3 of the largest Habitat affiliates in the United States. Greg, was hired to reach the faith communities about giving, so as the hardworking man in Jax could receive "a hand up and not a hand out!"

WOW! Talk about God directing our lives!

Anyway, Greg informed me weeks ago about his preaching at St. Mark's. He was incredibly excited and ready to get back in front of the people again. Well. Let's be clear, the Episcopal folk! Greg has been preaching all over Jax for some months now. Every faith imaginable! (We even attended a "mega-church" this weekend!!!) But, when PB was asked to deliver the sermons for the 3 services on his home turf he more than jumped at the opportunity! As, for me, it was like going home! Preparing for this a week in advance, he angled me in every way as to how he would connect covenants, plead Luke, and justify Genesis! Ahhhh.. the old days!

We talked, and he taught me. He found every free moment to run some piece of scripture he could weave together by me. He sat at at his house of writing worship, St. Arbucks, and poured his heart and soul into his work. Although, not for him, but for the college boy, and others like Thomas, who grew up in a Habijax home and is studying to become a prosecuting attorney! He wrote that sermon for the homeless, the needy and the lost. He wrote it so that the common man could come terms with how God does enter into covenants with all of us!
So that more, " Thomas' ", Will see and Believe!

PB got up with the same spring in his step. He got up actually several times through the evening to perfect his story. He was a preacher in need of God's people. He needed to get his message into the hands of those that cared, and to do it on his playing field, gave him the home team advantage.

Our triple header was like Opening Day! It was a crisp and clear morning. The kind of morning that reminds you that you are alive and not just freeze dried. A 7:30 service, and after some "thee's and thou's" we were up to bat! PB decided against the purple Lenten tie and went right into red! He would invoke the deity with his passion. And so with home team advantage he took his first swing. I sat in the stands and I white knuckled my service leaflet... it was like watching someone come off the injured list. He got off the bench, and I closed my eyes, and waited. The pitch, and the hit!

As I sat in pool of nervous wetness, ( I was doubting my Tom's that day!) I noticed the most intriguing sign. The chapel-like building was host to a stained glassed system of Jesus' life cycle... Nativity to Pentecost. I open my eyes upon the chills rising up through me, I look at PB. He is on fire... literally!!! His hands appealing to the crowd. The perfect pauses and pleas. The immanent smile. The red aura all around him! PB was standing directly beneath the window of God sending the Holy Spirit to his disciples. Jesus' was represented in garments of flowing red. The east rising sun was illuminating this image so brightly that I hardly knew the difference of where the spirit was! It was pouring down threw Greg's head and around his body... The hue was as bright as the window. I was astounded as to the image. I then looked at the series of windows before home plate. The former was, Easter Day and further down, the Cruxifiction. It all made perfect sense to me.

I watched the crowd afterwards wanting to touch "his" garments. They, as I, were moved by the power of the spirit. They lined up to help and hear more. They lined up to ask and be healed. And yet, there was no one in that room more healed than the one who was speaking in tongues!!! I shed a small tear after the 7am sermon. Although, the third game was clearly the one he came to play.The 11am seats more fans, however the sun had moved and the window was normalized as the others now. PB took the spirit of redemption in hours before. He had knocked one out of the park for the Big Guy! But, more importantly for himself. He was no longer a Thomas, but fighting for one!

I am more convinced than ever that our truest callings and healing are God's way of letting us know, that in fact, no matter the circumstances, we all have jobs to do! God is the umpire in every game! His calls are the ones we wait for at home plate.
God's Will be done... no one can stop that! Let no man put asunder. (Even ourselves!)

PB is back in the fields! He is more alive and charismatic than he has ever been. It made me tear up to be at his opening day!

And ps... I love the new uniform!

Love, Dusty

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for sharing your wonderful blog! And thanks Greg for being faithful in your calling! If I close my eyes I think I would see the pinstripes of white and navy, but after opening my eyes it is clear to see that PB is on a bigger better team! Grand Slam for HIS glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you LC!! A grand slam was the order of the day for sure- and I'd love to agree with you on the uniform.. except.. his suit WAS a pinstripe!!!! that rascal somehow always manages to sneak jeter in!

    ReplyDelete